There was nothing like an ice-cold sugar bomb in the form of a convenience-store slushy as a kid! If you’re looking to enjoy that sweet nostalgia without the chemicals and sucrose overload, you’re in luck. Who doesn’t love slushy cocktails?!
Slushy Cocktails for the Discerning Drinker
These slushy cocktails—which are takes on classics—are blender friendly and use great quality ingredients.
Each recipe produces 1 serving and uses 1 scoop or about 2 cups of ice.
ALOE GUAVA DAIQUIRI
- 2oz (60ml) Cuban rum (We recommend Havana 3yr for the price)
- 1oz (30ml) Lime juice
- 3/4oz (25ml) Aloe Guava syrup**
- 3 dashes Fee Brothers grapefruit bitters
GLASS – Large cocktail coupe
GARNISH – Lime wedge
**Aloe guava syrup: Combine 500ml Guava juice, 500ml sweetened aloe beverage, and 500g sugar in a pot or saucepan and simmer until sugar is dissolved. Let cool and transfer to a clean container. Keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
(Check out our posts all about cocktail syrups here.)
VIETNAMESE PINA COLADA
- 2oz (60ml) Pho spiced dark rum** (Try Flor de Cana 7yr or El Dorado 12yr for the value)
- 3oz (90ml) Pineapple juice
- 1 ½ oz (45ml) Coconut cream
- 1/2oz (15ml) Lime juice
- 1/2oz (15ml) Simple syrup
GLASS – Goblet or Hurricane glass
GARNISH – Lime leaves or pineapple fronds, star anise, cinnamon dust, and of course…a cocktail umbrella
**Pho spiced rum: Toast 1 star anise, 1 cinnamon stick, 3 cardamom pods, 3 cloves, 1tsp coriander seed on medium heat until fragrant. Transfer rum and spices into a large jar or container and let infuse for 2-3 days. Heat will accelerate the process so if there is a warm corner of the kitchen close to elements that would be preferable. Taste until spices are prevalent, strain, and keep indefinitely.
SPICY MANGO MEZCAL MARGARITA
- 1oz (30ml) Plata Tequila
- 1oz (30ml) Mezcal (Espadin preferably)
- 2 tsp or (10ml) Agave nectar
- 1oz (30ml) Lime juice
- 2oz (60ml) Organic mango juice
- 1-3 dashes Bittermens Hellfire Bitters, or Scrappy’s Firewater depending on spice tolerance
- Tajin ½ salt rim (commercial chili lime seasoning readily available at grocery stores, or make your own)
(I like controlling the heat with bitters vs. chunks of chili/jalapeno because not everyone likes to crank it to face-melting status)
GLASS – Rocks or tumbler
GARNISH – ½ chili salt rim and dehydrated lime wheel
What are your favorite slushy cocktails?